Thread: sex determination?

Default sex determination?

At what size nose to vent will i be able to determine the sex of my red tegus. When do the males start to develop the bead past the vent? Also I work with my reds every day to tame them and every day it becomes a struggle to get them out of their enclosure. I do not grab them from the top, i craddle them, and they still bolt around. One even does the"death roll". He rolls and still winds up in my hand, its kind of funny, he goes to the trouble of rolling and when he is done spinning he looks at me and is still in the same place. THe other one is doing what i call the stair master in my hands, i put one hand in front of the other and she gets knowwere. Eventually they both calm down and i put them in their tub for feeding. When will they realize the less they struggle the sooner they eat. At what point will they be more submissive with me. They are about a year old.
    1 b/w Arg. tegu
    2 red Arg. tegu
    2 sulcata tortoises
    6 bearded dragons
    1 frilled dragon
    1 corn snake
    4 crested geckos
    1 african grey parrot
    2 cockatiels
    1 love bird

Did they ever hibernate ? If they didn't you should be able to feel the BB's by the vent right now if it's a male. If they hibernated then I don't know how long it will take to feel the BB's. I have a male ( All American ) and he is a bit over a year old and I don't feel the BB's yet. He hibernated from September until April 16th so he is still small. I know that he is a male because Bobby ( the breeder ) probed him.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

They both hibernated from September to about mid march. They are both still small. If they are both males, will they fight when they are older? If so i will have to start building a second enclosure to separate them both. I'm trying to plan ahead as much as possible.
    1 b/w Arg. tegu
    2 red Arg. tegu
    2 sulcata tortoises
    6 bearded dragons
    1 frilled dragon
    1 corn snake
    4 crested geckos
    1 african grey parrot
    2 cockatiels
    1 love bird

Just to be safe I would build another enclosure. Just in case. I have all of our adults in seperate enclosures. The only two that are in one enclosure are the babies. I used to let my two adult Argentine b/w Tegus free roam around together until one day the smaller one ( Zeus ) bit Leonidas on the leg. Thank God he was OK. He just walked away. Since that day I keep them all apart. But you never know. Yours might get along. There are other members that keep their Tegus together and don't have any problems with it.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

They have been together since we got them last year and have been doing ok. I never considered the idea of them not getting along. Good point, so i will build another enclosure to be on the safe side. Why not i enjoy the wood working part.
    1 b/w Arg. tegu
    2 red Arg. tegu
    2 sulcata tortoises
    6 bearded dragons
    1 frilled dragon
    1 corn snake
    4 crested geckos
    1 african grey parrot
    2 cockatiels
    1 love bird

Yeah and if all goes as planned and they continue to get along just fine you can get something else to fill your new project! Atleast that is how I am planning to do things...ssshhh don't tell the hubby!
    Last edited by Nessie; 09-10-2010 at 01:16 AM.
    Vanessa
    Ontario, Canada
    1.0.0 Argentine Black and White Tegu (Dezie)
    0.1.0 Argenitne Red Tegu (rehome)
    1.0.1 Fat-Tailed Gecko (Holly and Chugington)
    1.0.0 Brittish Bulldog (Bently)
    1.0.0 Cockerpug (Ryder) Perfect name as he "rides" everything!
    0.2.0 Children (Cadence 5, Jordan 2)
    Large Saltwater tank that contains Dory, Nemo, Marlin, Foxface, 4 Gobeys, firefish, a couple shrimps, and a grumpy Brittle Star that eats fish while they sleep!

*facepalm*

The Boyfriend has that same thought process. We term it "Emptycageitis"... if he has an empty cage, he simply HAS to fill it with something. I've recently, and very calmly, asked him to refrain from getting any more reptiles until we moved into our new home (translation: I pulled the nagging girl card and made it clear that it wouldn't be worth having to listen to me complain about any new additions to our family at the moment... *grin*).
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Spaz (aka "Monkey")
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon; Leonidas (aka "Jaba" aka "Fatty)
    0.0.1 Ball Pythons; Lil' Bit

0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu; Bozski - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Argentine A/A Tegu; Oscar - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Ball Python; Moose - *rehome*

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Knuckles (aka "Kitteh"), RIP
    0.0.1 Baby B/W Tegu; unnamed, RIP

"Emptycageitis" is that contageous and do tegus cary it, because i think i have it too. That was my plan, to fill the new cage with a black throat if my reds get along as adults. Nessie i won't tell your hubby if you don't tell my wife.LOL.
    1 b/w Arg. tegu
    2 red Arg. tegu
    2 sulcata tortoises
    6 bearded dragons
    1 frilled dragon
    1 corn snake
    4 crested geckos
    1 african grey parrot
    2 cockatiels
    1 love bird

Hehehehe... it's HIGHLY contagious, and at this time the CDC's official statement is that there is known known cure or vaccination.
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Spaz (aka "Monkey")
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon; Leonidas (aka "Jaba" aka "Fatty)
    0.0.1 Ball Pythons; Lil' Bit

0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu; Bozski - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Argentine A/A Tegu; Oscar - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Ball Python; Moose - *rehome*

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Knuckles (aka "Kitteh"), RIP
    0.0.1 Baby B/W Tegu; unnamed, RIP