Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Hi i'm new here and i need help wit my tegu kan someone pils help me out

7 moth, wow1.
    anyway isit necessary to keep the cage moist coz i remember my first time trying to buy a tegu from a pet shoe that that had around my way, i had ask the bay side reptile owner, and he told me that is not unless you are planning on breeding them.
    I dont moist my cage everyday but i do bath my tegu almost everyday for like bout 30 to 45 min in the tub, would it be the same, or should i also moist his cage?

Misting down the enclosure has nothing to do with the breeding part. It's to help the Tegu shed. Since you give your Tegu a bath that often you don't have to mist down the enclosure every day. But I do recommend stiring up the mulch so it doesn't stay to we on the buttom for to long. Some say that Tegus have to hibernate in order to be able to breed. But I know some breeders whos Tegus sometimes don't hibernate and they had a very nice clutch.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Thats what he had told me. if i want to breed them keep the enclosure mist so that they can hibernate. but if i don't want to breed them its not recommend to mist the enclosure. so to be safe i just let my sake in the tub so that it can shed.. Oh yea i talk to mark today and he say that i should be getting IGGY tomorrow.. i can't wait

yeah you NEED the humidity to keep them shedding well, or it will lose tail, toes, even feet, or their legs.
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-
    0.0.1 RedxB/W Tegu (Stevie Wonder)
    1.0.0 Croc Gecko (Waylan Jones I)

& More to come

But i let he sake in the tub for like 30 or 45min a day

I'm so excited for you. I can't wait to see some pictures or a video . I hope they still have those great colors. OMG this is the craziest thing I have ever heard. I can't believe he told you this. Here are some links for you to check out if you want to. Thank you for keeping us posted about Iggy .

Shedding info:

http://www.anapsid.org/shedding.html

Rescued Tegu. The old owners didn't take proper care of her and she lost part of her toes because of the shedding problem. When the Shed gets to dry and it doesn't come off it will tighten up and they can loos the toes, tail. It's like you putting a rubber band around your finger real tight. Your fingers can circulate the blood right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53Uv7UTKv8c

Hibernation info ( from Bobby Hill/ Varnyard ). He is one of the best breeders out there.

http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=826
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Quote Originally Posted by RedDragon123 View Post
    But i let he sake in the tub for like 30 or 45min a day
    Giving him a bath everyday is just a bonus; like Pikey said, you NEED to mist his substrate everyday to keep the humidity levels around 80%. I don't mean to sound harsh here, but it's not really something that you can just "not do", and letting him soak in a tub everyday is not the same thing at all.
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Spaz (aka "Monkey")
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon; Leonidas (aka "Jaba" aka "Fatty)
    0.0.1 Ball Pythons; Lil' Bit

0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu; Bozski - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Argentine A/A Tegu; Oscar - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Ball Python; Moose - *rehome*

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Knuckles (aka "Kitteh"), RIP
    0.0.1 Baby B/W Tegu; unnamed, RIP

I second or third the comments about humidity. Tegus need humid air to keep all of their metabolism operating properly. The bath only gets them wet on the outside, and only for a short period. Humidity in the air keeps their lungs and air passages moist and allows their exterior to stay softer.

During the time that we allowed our boy to free roam as much as he wanted in his own room, we didn't realize that he spent most of his time "burrowed" under old pillows and folded laundry. Even though his room was humid, this kept him too dry and he had a very severe, all-body retained shed. It took months and intensive care to help him get back to normal, and we almost lost him due to complications. And I'll add, we spent hundreds of dollars at the veterinarian's office in the process.

OK.. thank you all for the info i guest i will start keeping the enclosure mist... but my thing is that my enclosure is made out of wood with slide grass door. ain't that going to cause a problem if i keep it mist all the time? And yea here are some picture of the newest member in my family...

He looks very cute.

It looks like the inside of his cage is painted -- is that dryloc? If the wood is sealed you don't have to worry that much about mold and mildew from the misting. If it isn't sealed, it's worth the time investment to seal it and let it air out until completely dry and not having a strong chemical smell before putting him back in.

I especially like that clip with him just arriving, and being lifted so sweetly from his travel box, then suddenly mass chaos when he jumps to the floor :lol::lol::lol: