Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi i'm new here and i need help wit my tegu kan someone pils help me out

I heard about the guy with the chicken necks. You just have to chop them really small.

I know you are getting a lot of suggestions from people, a lot of good advice. Natural sunlight is best. If you can get a mercury vapor bulb, that is second best. If you keep with the 5.0 bulb, then it needs to be inside the cage about 6-8" from the basking spot. A 5.0 is not very strong, though, and not many people recommend the coiled/compact lamps.

He needs proper temperatures to keep his metabolism up, so the basking temp needs to be 110-115 and the cool side low 80's with a night time drop into the 70's.

As for diet, the calcium to phosphorous ration needs to be 1.5 or 2:1. When something is out of whack...diet, UV exposure, vit D, then calcium metabolism is out of whack. Calcium is utilized by the muscle fibers and the nerves for proper muscle contraction. When calcium is low (or high), then the muscles cannot function as they should and that twitching is seen. If the blood levels of calcium are low, then the body must get more calcium for the muscles to function properly (the skeletal muscles and heart muscle), so it turns to the bones for more calcium. Without bloodwork from the vet, we cannot say which component is affecting your tegu. Otherwise, we just sort of recommend everything, but we aren't vets. Ground beef is really the same as ground turkey, as long as they are lean. It's been a while since I've seen the chart, but the ration something like 1:33, hugely in the wrong direction. Insects are anywhere from 1:12 to 1:30, unless you gut load them or use some that are naturally higher in calcium and have a proper ratio. That's why it is so important to supplement with a good calcium product that does NOT contain phosphorous. Usually it says so right on the label, and the directions for use will be right on the label.

If he isn't eating, then I would get some chicken stage 1 baby food. Take a tiny baby food jar, and add 1/2 teaspoon of calcium no phosphorous with Vit D. It is based on 1/2 tablespoon of calcium per pound of food. You could even add just a bit more, but it may make the food taste too chalky to be appealing. Then make sure he has good UVB, and see if will improve in a day or two.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Thank you for the welcome and the info i really didn't know anything about know chicken necks but i will surely try it out

Where's the story of the guy using the chicken necks? I want to read all about it
    Money is NOT the root of all evil, LOVE OF MONEY is. Far too many people get that mixed up.

1.1.0 Blue Tegu - Jabba, Jasmine

If I remember correctly, I had first read about it on Bobby's site, www.tegutalk.com

Here's what I could find that was posted by the guy:

I'm sure some here are sick of me saying this but I guarantee you that IF your new Gu has MBD, you can reverse it with chicken necks in about 2 to 3 weeks time. Frieda, my adopted female was also lethargic, had slight twitching, dragged herself in a sliding motion rather than walking elevated like my male, Kimo. By the end of last summer, she could barely catch the mice I put in her cage - scratch that, she couldn't catch them. I had to stun them for her.

Earlier this summer, I started feeding her whole chicken necks and at first she was not excreting any of the bone. I just figured that she digested it all. However, about two to three weeks later, I started noticing a fine white powder stool being excreted. She had finally absorbed enough calcium phosphate that she was able to excrete the excess in her stool. Coincidentally, for the first time, I noticed that she was walking with her body and tail held off the ground. She has been doing so ever since - and now has more energy than Kimo does, which says a lot.

I was very doubtful that MBD could be reversed. If you saw the way she acted, you'd have never thought it was possible for her to walk correctly again. And yet the chicken necks seemed to work like a miracle. Also, if possible get your tegu natural sunlight. I think this makes a difference as well.

If you can't get chicken necks at your local market, look for chicken backs. They're larger but can be cut up into smaller pieces. Worst case scenario, buy a whole chicken and cleaver it up in pieces small enough for your tegu to eat. A cornish hen might work too, as they're smaller and easier to work with. Regardless, whatever you do, make sure your tegu is getting real bone as well as natural sunlight if possible. We are constantly trying to supplement the food we give our tegus to contain the proper ratio of calcium to phosphate and yet if you just give them real bones you can avoid this problem altogether - and it's probably cheaper too. If you do this, I'm pretty sure you'll be amazed at the turn-around.
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Spaz (aka "Monkey")
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon; Leonidas (aka "Jaba" aka "Fatty)
    0.0.1 Ball Pythons; Lil' Bit

0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu; Bozski - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Argentine A/A Tegu; Oscar - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Ball Python; Moose - *rehome*

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Knuckles (aka "Kitteh"), RIP
    0.0.1 Baby B/W Tegu; unnamed, RIP

Thank you very much.. are of the thing you suggestion have been helpful to me even if i did already know it may help me out by doing them over.

Default Thank you everyone..

I want to say thank you to everyone that try to help me whit all their suggestions; but sadly my tegu did not make it. :(
    I put him outside to get some sun light for like 10min but when i went back to bring him in, he wasn't moving. I try C.P.R but it didn't help.
    I did set a vet app for him on Monday for blood work but i guess i now is to late.

PS: I'M LOOKING FOR ANOTHER ONE, SO IF ANYBODY KNOWS OF WHERE OR WHO I CAN GET ONE FROM, PLEASE, LET ME KNOW... (BABY ARGENTINA TEGU, PREFENRTLY RED

I'm so, so sorry that you're tegu has passed away. It sounds like the people you had got him from were the cause of it. If they were the original owners and had him for that long without ANY UVB light, and hardly any calcium included in his diet, it sounds as if they signed the poor little guy's death warrant (figure of speech here).

If you still have a way to contact the people you got him from, I might suggest telling them what happened, and why it happened, so that if they ever get another one, they'll know how to actually PROPERLY take care of it. Sorry if that sounded rude, but it really upsets me when people get animals that they don't know how (or don't care) to take care of them.

Once again, I'm really sorry that you lost your tegu. :(
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Spaz (aka "Monkey")
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon; Leonidas (aka "Jaba" aka "Fatty)
    0.0.1 Ball Pythons; Lil' Bit

0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu; Bozski - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Argentine A/A Tegu; Oscar - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Ball Python; Moose - *rehome*

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Knuckles (aka "Kitteh"), RIP
    0.0.1 Baby B/W Tegu; unnamed, RIP

I am very sorry to hear that your Tegu didn't make it :( . May he rest in peace. If you want to you can check out Varnyard.com for a red Tegu. Or you can call Mark Fass. He is a Tegu breeder for over 20 years now. He lives in Texas. I saw him at the Reptile Expo yesterday and he had some awsome looking red Tegu hatchlings. They are 2 weeks old . They are the best and halthiest red Tegu babies I have ever seen. I wish I would of brought my camera :( . He is selling them for $125 each. That is very cheap for a red Tegu hatchling. If we wouldn't have so many Tegus right now we would of gotten one. My boyfriend is going to help him build a website but you can call him. I'm sure he will give you his e-mail address and will send you some pictures. He usually sells his Tegus on Kingsnake.com but he is selling them at the expos first.

Mark :

Home : 512-868-2029

Cell : 512-630-6125
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I'm very sorry to hear about your tegu. You were very brave to try to save him, but it sounds like he was very far gone when you first got him.

If some good comes out of it, maybe your thread will be read by others so they'll know how serious are a lack of proper conditions, including UVB, calcium and vitamin D3.

I'm very sorry to hear what happened. Like HM said, it will help others so I hope that brings about a little peace in all the sadness.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets