Thread: Another thread about enclosures

Default Another thread about enclosures

In your opinions..

Does anybody have the "Best" plans for a Tegu cage? I'm not looking to spend a great deal of money, but I am looking to make an enclosure to fit her needs.

I was thinking I'd just make a frame out of 2x4s and make the inside panels melamine boards.

I'm not sure on the dimensions. She's 2, but very small for 2. My problem with constructing an enclosure 8x4x4 is getting it in the room I want it in.. So maybe 6x3x2.5 LxWxH..?

Doorways are roughly 30 inches, so I'd have to construct it in the room it's going to be in. Unless I can make it so I can break it down and move it when I move..

Any ideas are welcome = ) Thanks

ALSO If anybody has any alternatives to using melamine, I'm all ears. Melamine is a pain to find in bigger sheets, also pretty heavy and a pain to work with. Maybe plywood with drylok
    Last edited by iclownn; 09-10-2010 at 06:26 PM.

I too know your plight of small door frames. And I've been thinking of ways to contruct an enclosure to get around it, I keep comming back to splitting it in half becuase I'll be moving soon I'm sure. Contructing it indoors isn't fun either.

As for hieght, alot of poeple like the 4 feet I assume becuase it gives space for one foot of subtrate, 6-8 inches for the bulbs to hang down if you put them inside the enclosure, and ample space for hides and to grab that massive water bin, lift it and take it out without struggling with a clearence.

I've thought of 2 ways to make a split in half construction. One is with a bottom and top, then rubber to fit and seal together, latches to keep it together (The ones grab and you pull down to get that extra tight seal). The other way is to build the 2 halves, have a lip on either end and screw them together, then seal the crease with silicone all around.

Personally I like the first idea more, I imagine it will make moving and cleaning so much easier. The Door issue can be whatever, that is something to get creative with, but will likely be what loses the most humidity.

As for your dimensions, I believe the 6 long by 3 wide is adequet. Minimalist dictate the enclosure should be: Where {X|X=length of reptiles nose to tail} 2X(lenght)x1X(width) for ground surface area.
    Columbian Rainbow Boa
    Blue Tail Monitor
    Black Throat Monitor - Hatchling
    Black Throat Monitor- Juvinile

Monitor- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJUSO8JGKec

we build our it is 6x4x4 didnt relieze it wont make it out the door if we ever move..lol but we made it so that it would be easyly taking down and put bad together. we used an old window as a door, workds great. cuz we didnt have to build the tracks for it it came with the window we just put it in backwards and it works great.. and it locks!
    http://www.facebook.com/tegugurl
    http://http://tegusfromaroundtheworld.weebly.com/
    0.1.0 Red Tegu "Freyja"
    0.1.0 Argentine Black Nose Tegu "Mylnor"
    2.0.0 Chacoan Giant Tegu "Midgard & Murphy
    1.0.0 Chihuahua "Odie"

I personally would ditch the idea of the melamine. It's expensive, heavy, and from what I've heard, if even a slight bit of moisture gets in it, the whole thing falls apart and turns to mush. Definitely go with plywood sealed with Drylock. It's AMAZING stuff. Your first coat of it should be pretty thin so it can form your "base". Subsequent coats should get thicker and thicker. I used four coats of it.
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Spaz (aka "Monkey")
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon; Leonidas (aka "Jaba" aka "Fatty)
    0.0.1 Ball Pythons; Lil' Bit

0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu; Bozski - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Argentine A/A Tegu; Oscar - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Ball Python; Moose - *rehome*

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Knuckles (aka "Kitteh"), RIP
    0.0.1 Baby B/W Tegu; unnamed, RIP

I'm making winter cages 6x3x2 (cost me about $125 with fixtures) go to Lowe's or home depot
    get 3 sheets of 16/32" plywood (it's really 9/16th if you bring your own measuring tape)
    have them cut all 3 to 6ft long
    have them cut 1 - 6ft panel in half down the length
    have them cut the other 2 to 3ft wide
    have them cut 2 of the scrap 4x2ft pieces down to 34" 7/8 x 2ft

take them home
    *use a drill bit to pre-drill all holes
    take one of the 6x3 pieces and lay it down
    put a 2x6 pieces on the very edge of the one you have laying down (one top not the out side)
    have someone hold it then place one of the 34 7/8" on the end (inside so from the front you dont see the edge of the short board)
    drill and screw it together the do the other short end
    then line up and do the other long side (back/front)
    now place the other 3x6 sheet on top (it may take some bending and pushing to make it all line up)
    and start with one side pre-drill and screw and continue to do one side at a time clock/counter clockwise until done

flip it over cut out the vent holes and where you want the door (jigsaw or router)
    vacuum it all out & dry lock the inside (3 coats seemed to work)
    then Drylock one side of the 3x6 sheet you didn't screw down (2 coats)
    install your lights on the side with the Drylock
    get help to flip it over and line up to screw into place

make a door, install, & your done (will take 1-2 days to built)
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-
    0.0.1 RedxB/W Tegu (Stevie Wonder)
    1.0.0 Croc Gecko (Waylan Jones I)

& More to come

If you can find a way to make the cage short then you should be able to fit it through the door. I would measure your doorway and make it just a little less tall then that. If that doesn't give you enough room for the light in the cage then you could make holes on the roof of the cage and put the lights on top of the cage. It wont look as good but it may get through the door. I would agree, use plywood and drylock, the melamine will deteriorate in a year or two when he scratches at it enough. I would also recommend using 3/4 inch plywood so you dont have to make a skeleton. I just built a cage, it doesn't warp and it supports itself just fine. And if it does warp a little you can always add a small support beam in the middle.
    hope this helps

Wow thanks a ton. Definitely using plywood with drylok for sure. I'm going to use something similar to what Pikey mentioned =)