Thread: Enclosure building process

Default Enclosure building process

Grabbed materials and started pretty late last night so this is how far we got..

Unfortunately I'm only able to build it 4x3x2.. =\ It will do for now, until he/she gets bigger. It is more than enough size for the time being, though. I figured I'd post pictures while I'm building... We wanted to get the frame and sides done so we can decide on what to do for an opening..
    Either have a piece of plexiglass that slide up and down.. Or just making the top part mesh with glass still on the front of it for viewing etc

ideas?

Update:
    Last edited by iclownn; 10-09-2010 at 08:57 PM.

I don't want to be rude but I would paint and or at least seal ( water proof ) the wood before you put it together. Since it has to be humid inside the enclosure it has to be water proof. Please make sure you use a non toxic sealent.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Trust me I know first hand, Non-sealed Tanks make you sad. My large Black Throat Monitor's enclosure is not water tight, so when I over flood it with water (Simulating rain I swear!) it sometimes starts to leak from crazy places, not fun.

But I'm sure your not done yet, simply showing people a good starter idea that is so simple someone in the army could do it. :p Honestly what you have there is so amazingly simple I never even thought to do something like that. In my head personally I'm thinking of all this ood and complicated stuff....but that there, amazingly simple....I'd probably reenforce the bottom for good measure though.
    Columbian Rainbow Boa
    Blue Tail Monitor
    Black Throat Monitor - Hatchling
    Black Throat Monitor- Juvinile

Monitor- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJUSO8JGKec

I reinforced the back so it doesn't bow. I was contemplating on reinforcing the bottom. I can stand on it without it really flexing so, if it can take 170 lbs I'm sure a tegu with some rocks will be fine but better safe than sorry.

I don't want to be rude but I would paint and or at least seal ( water proof ) the wood before you put it together.
    You're not being rude at all. I would point that out as well.. It's definitely necessary.

I'm going to use drylok after I build. That way I know the wood will be snug without anything between the other pieces. That and I'm pretty sure with how thick it is that will be the only thing I need to seal the corners (once its complete it will be a solid structure). I have some extra can lights left over from a side job, I was contemplating on using those but... that would look pretty dumb. Instead I'll probably just put in some fixtures. I still have to take measurements to make sure it wouldn't be too close for the tegu.

Thanks for the input and compliments. I'll post more once I think of something for the opening.. I'll try and remain on the simple side

Looks like a good start. Good luck.

Your welcome. Can't wait to see the rest of it.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

slowly but surely..
    Haven't had the chance to buy the rest of the materials! It should be completed with a stand before the Bears game(noon) tomorrow. Gotta let the drylok dry..