Thread: Retained shed on tail...please help:)

Default Retained shed on tail...please help:)

Hey my male adult Argentine B & W Tegu has jus shed. He shed all over very well except for the bottom half of his tail. From the tip to approx half way up. Now his whole body is a nice bright white and black except for the end of his tail which is a light yellow and black. I have tried bathing him but it really does not want to come off...there is also not even anything that i am able to work with (nothing to peel)!!! If i try to pick and it he gets agitated and i really dnt want to hurt him so i have left it for the while. He has good humidity in the viv and like i said he shed the rest of his body including his toes wonderfully. So wud anyone have any advice on what to do? Also how long before the circulation gets cut off from the end of his tail?? I have been told it wud take a few sheds being stuck on before this happened?? Thanks for ur help.

Peace out :lol:

Hey welcome to the forum! There is lots of great info on here and the people on here are pretty awesome, so just ask and you'll get all the help you'll need. I had a similar problem with my B&W. I made an "humidity chamber". I took a old aquarium (a big one) and put glass (you could use a scrap piece of ply wood or other material) and put really warm water (about 6-8in full) covered the top and it got really humid in there. I left him in there for about a half an hour.

I've heard another member write about using a "mud bath". I am hoping that this member will read this and chime in to give you the details of the mud bath. The humidity chamber had great results for me tho. We'd love to see some pics of your tegu! Do you have any other animals?
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Albino Burmese Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad
    1.0.0 Albino Western Hognose

Roaches (Dubia & Lateralis)

i guess thats my que.
    how long has it been since he finished his shed?
    the tail can take a week or 2 more to finish the shed

i have used a "mud bath" and it seems to work amazingly for my tegus.
    i do it outside in the "summer home" i dig a hole, take the dirt put it back in, "fluff" it up, and add water. i add new water everyday/other day
    and they would just soak in it on hot days.

even my red female (who had like 6+ layers of old shed when i got her showed a huge improvement)

other have done a tote with a wet towel in it, a heat pad under it. for a few hours a day.
    you can rub with a Water Based lube, like KY, even olive oil, & you can start adding Fish Oil to the food you give him (mix 1 teaspood to 1-2lbs of meat)
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)