Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help...

Default Need help...

Hey! I am new to this forum and I am sitll getting used to it. I started this account because I felt there was a lot of info on here on tegus. But now I need help with one of my argentine black and white tegus. Now, let me tell you about him. His name is Frost and he is a little over a year old now. I got him from Bobby Hill at Varnyard Herps along with my other tegu Zeus. He eats everything, really friendly, getting HUGE(he is over 3 feet long), sheds and poops regularly and his stools look healthy. I feed him a variety of foods(ground turkey, hard boiled eggs, chicken hearts and gizzards....) with calcium powder. I handle him regularly and I make sure that his cage is immaculate and clean. He is the tamest tegu I think I've ever seen! He is also a great looking one and ill post pics up of him soon. Lately he has started to slow down along with my other tegu because he is probably getting ready for hibernation. He still eats great though. But I don't know what this is. He seems to have something weird on his head. It isn't bleeding and I don't know if its a cut or what. He is in shed and this thing has not gone away for over a week now. Please help me. I really hope nothing is wrong. Sorry if the pics are bad.
    Attached Images Attached Images

First off, welcome to the forum! You're right, this place has a WEALTH of wonderful knowledge, and most everyone is more than willing and ready to share their experiences on tegu husbandry.

So, from the pics is *does* look like some kind of skin lesion. Is he protective of the area, like it hurts him? I would definitely recommend getting him into your vet as soon as you can. It may be nothing that requires only a bit of polysporin or something of the kind, but any open wound can become a much more serious problem if left alone. Please keep us posted and I hope he gets better!
    Last edited by nordica; 09-21-2010 at 11:09 PM. Reason: spelling
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Spaz (aka "Monkey")
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon; Leonidas (aka "Jaba" aka "Fatty)
    0.0.1 Ball Pythons; Lil' Bit

0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu; Bozski - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Argentine A/A Tegu; Oscar - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Ball Python; Moose - *rehome*

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Knuckles (aka "Kitteh"), RIP
    0.0.1 Baby B/W Tegu; unnamed, RIP

Welcome to The Tegu and that looks like a normally good looking tegu. It looks like he either bumped/scraped up his head or went through a bad shed and I completely agree with Nordica that you should go to a vet, and asap.
    Money is NOT the root of all evil, LOVE OF MONEY is. Far too many people get that mixed up.

1.1.0 Blue Tegu - Jabba, Jasmine

Thanks! I new it was some sort of skin lesion. I will try to get a trip to the vet asap but the nearest one is an hour away. Well, at least its close to where my dad works. For now though I know what to do. Keep the enclosure dry and keep the affected area clean. Thanks again everyone! I'll keep you posted but it might be a few days before I can take him to the vet. Also, how much do you think all this is gonna cost. I just recently started building a new enclosure and need money for that. I know you can't put a price on you pets but im short on money.

it almost looks like a whole scale came off.
    yeah a vet would be the best option (if it is a missing plte scale it will heal, but wont grow a new one)
    it will prolly run around $100 prolly less (depends on the vet)
    but most (not all) will be more than willing to work with you on price or offer a "payment plan"

best of luck
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-
    0.0.1 RedxB/W Tegu (Stevie Wonder)
    1.0.0 Croc Gecko (Waylan Jones I)

& More to come

Default Tegu Pics:)

So here are some pictures of Frost the tegu. I will post pics up of Zeus later:-o
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome to the forum! Nice looking Tegu!
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Albino Burmese Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad
    1.0.0 Albino Western Hognose

Roaches (Dubia & Lateralis)

Hi SNExotics. Welcome to our Tegu forum family. Frost looks very good and healthy and it looks like you are doing everything right. I have a b/w with the name Zeus, too, . I could be wrong but it kind of looks like that he might of been stuck underneath something and the scale got pulled off. Or he was maybe shedding and when it was itching he rubed the head against something and the scale got pulled off. But like I sad I could be wrong. If you want to you can give him a bath and put some penalog cream/ointment on it. I have used this stuff a few times ( my vet gave it to me ) and it works wonders. The vets also call it " liquid gold " because it can be used for so many different things and it doesn't expire. I'll post some videos of our Leonidas from when he had a nose rub. This way you can see how well the medecine works. You can't even tell that he had some scale damage on that spot. If you put any meds on his head please make sure no dirt/mulch gets on it and dries onto the wound. Please keep us posted. Thank you.

The link to the medecine :

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=17903

Leonidas with his nose rub :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgir...45/jqdlOYJG7P0

After it healed up with the meds :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgir...40/bFKoiaL5Osc
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Hi and welcome. I am no expert, but I would advise you remove the mulch from his cage until the open wound heals over or you get the all clear from the vet. I would also not allow him to get too dry -- these guys thrive in humid, tropical climates. Some people use paper towels for substrate when their lizards need a "clean" room. We have had good results with old towels, but you have to change them out about every two days or immediately after they go to the bathroom on them. We've found the towels are easier to keep at a level of dampness that gets things humid but not wet.

You'll want to give him access to a little extra heat while he heals. And at the cold end, keep an eye on things so the temps don't go below high 70's even at night.

The problem with these wounds is that tegus are ground dwelling and digging critters, and thus pretty filthy. It's easy for a wound to pick up various infections, and without proper care the infection can quickly get into his bloodstream. Until he gets to a vet, please use one of the antibacterial/antibiotic products mentioned by others.

I used HM's suggestion and have good success with damp towels. One of my critters had a dried shed on a toe and I used the warm, damp, towel trick for a few days. it is great for raising humidity.

I'm no vet, but I was also thinking it was a scrape or cut from rubbing the head in the enclosure. It could be a burn, but it seems too small and localized and oddly placed for that.

I have a Varnyard tegu that was Zeus x Dark Lady. She is gorgeous and so incredibly tame! I think Bobby breeds great tegus for pet purposes.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets