Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tegu problem (video)

Default Tegu problem (video)

Hello

Problem with my tegu.
    Sorry, I don't know English. I write by means of the translator.
    My Tegu strange turns over sideways. I am disturbed by it.
    Tegu good appetite, it the good mood is regular poop.

Slava.

Welcome and thank you for posting the video.

That is the strangest behavior I've ever seen in a tegu.

You said he poops regularly. If this were not true, my first guess would be that he was constipated and trying to push something out of his intestine -- either poop or an object such as a rock that he accidentally swallowed.

It is curious that each spasm includes a yawn. This is most alarming to me. It suggests a neurological problem, something with the brain and nervous system. I have no veterinary training, but this is what it seems like to me. Is it possible for you to find near you a veterinarian specializing in reptiles? Perhaps through a local zoo? Or a knowledgeable person at the zoology department of a university?

I'll be interested to see what our more knowledgeable members have to say about this, but I'm guessing it's something that may need attention beyond what we can provide at a distance. I don't mean to upset you.

A few questions that may help us find a likely cause:

It looks like he is dragging his left hind leg a bit. Does he walk normally, or does part of his body move very little?

Has the tegu suffered a recent fall or injury?

Does the tegu have access to UVB light? What is the source? Is it possible to provide a bit of natural, unfiltered sunlight each day?

Does the tegu have whole animals in its diet, such as whole mice with the bones? Do you provide a supplement of calcium and vitamin D3?

If the tegu is not receiving and properly metabolizing calcium, it can lead to muscle problems and bone loss. D3 from UVB light and dietary supplement is necessary for him to absorb the calcium. One symptom of calcium deficiency is a kind of trembling muscle spasm -- I don't think it looks like your video but I am not an expert. Loss of bone mass may lead to easily broken bones, which may secondarily lead to damage of a nerve.

But other causes may include an internal parasite. This is why veterinary help is needed.

I hope this translates for you.

Thanks for your help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HernandosMom View Post
    Is it possible for you to find near you a veterinarian specializing in reptiles?
    Unfortunately in our country there is no such person :(

It looks like he is dragging his left hind leg a bit. Does he walk normally, or does part of his body move very little?
    Its paws are perfectly in order. He likes to walk in my room

Does the tegu have access to UVB light? What is the source?
    Yes, in its terrarium there are two lamps.
    1. ReptiGlo 5.0 15W
    2. SolarGlo 160W

Is it possible to provide a bit of natural, unfiltered sunlight each day?
    Problematic. (

Does the tegu have whole animals in its diet, such as whole mice with the bones?
    1. mice
    2. worms (tenebrio molitor)

1 - 2 day In a week

Do you provide a supplement of calcium and vitamin D3?
    http://www.tropical.pl/vigorept-vita...d194,0,en.html

Another in sale hasn't found.
    I have ordered good calcium from ZooMed, I think will soon bring.

Slava.

I feel bad for you and your tegu.

I sent a message to a member of this forum who has done academic research with tegus. Hopefully he will see your post and may have some ideas, or perhaps he knows of a Moldovan herpetologist who could see your tegu.

Do you live anywhere near the Agrarian State University of Moldova? Although the veterinary science department there probably focuses on farm animals, perhaps someone could test your tegu for parasites that may be effecting the nervous system.

Your tegu looks well fed and healthy except for this spasm. He is very handsome. In the video, his body looks slightly bloated. Is this simply his basking posture, or has he recently taken on this puffed-up appearance? It does not look like fat to me. Does it seem to you as if there may be some inflamation or swelling?

If you gently run two fingers down his spine, from neck to tail, softly feeling each vertebrae, does everything feel right? Does he suddenly wince or jump as you do this?

it cold be a neuro problem, but it could also be gass or a big meal

1. does he do it every day?
    2. does he do it shortly after eating?
    3. does he stop doing it for the day(s) after a bowel movment?

my Jonesy did it for a month and i swiched him from a few small rats/large mice to 1 or 2 med rats & he just stopped
    (it was his way of helping it work through it)
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-
    0.0.1 RedxB/W Tegu (Stevie Wonder)
    1.0.0 Croc Gecko (Waylan Jones I)

& More to come

That would be good news if he were just passing gas. I hope you're correct, Pikey. The tegu looks so healthy otherwise, that supports your suggestion. So you think that yawn is a belch?

Our boy enjoys a good fart now and then, bless his heart, but I've never seen him twist back like this one. He usually just looks like he's about to poop.

iSlava_rus, do you hear (or smell) your tegu burping or passing gas when he does this?

He is a very good looking Tegu . The two members above had a lot of the same questions as I did. But I do recomme nd getting a 10.0 UVB light. Maybe it would be better to get a light that has everything in one ( basking, UVA/UVB ). Since Tegus bask a lot he would get more out of the UVA/UVB light like this. I will post a good one in the link below. When your Tegu poops does the poop smell very sour ? Is it very runy ? Does his butt move side to side ( like my Tegu in the link below ) ? If he does he could be impacted. If he is impacted then what ever it its can push against the organs and maybe make him move like this. Try to give him a few warm baths each day and see if that helps. Please keep us posted. Thank you and good luck.

http://www.petmountain.com/product/r...FQpe7AodZ0nzHw

This is how my Tegu tried to poop when she was impacted :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgir...27/kBEoZOxVxQI

I forgot to ask you what the temperatures are on the basking area.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I'm just guessing, but could the yawn be air gulping? Other animals do it...horses, dogs...it becomes like a habit where they swallow air. Horses can't burp so they just stomach problems and it is uncomfortable for them. I wonder if certain tegus can do it, too. They can gulp air to inflate themselves in the tub, so could they do as a compulsive habit?
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Many thanks to all for the help. To mine tegu it is a bit better. It began to turn over less often. Possibly, it of a turning caused frequent feeding.

Thank you for the update. I was worried about the little guy. What a mystery! But he looks very sweet in this second video. His colors are rich and beautiful and his scales look quite healthy. Plus, he seems to like you a lot. I think he is healthy.

Vă mulţumim pentru actualizarea. Am fost īngrijorat de micuţ. Ce un mister! Dar el arata foarte dulce, īn acest al doilea film. Culorile sale sunt bogate şi frumoase şi cāntare lui arata destul de sănătos. In plus, el pare a ca tine foarte mult. Cred că este sănătos.