Thread: I think my beardie might be sick

Default I think my beardie might be sick

This morning my bearded dragon was really dark when I turned the heat lamps on. I mean, his beard was almost black. He basked for a while, and then he just threw up suddenly. And as if that wasn't bad enough, he had a little bit of diarrhea afterwards. I was really freaked out and I cleaned up the ''mess'' and gave him a bath. Now he has been really quiet all day and not very active. He has spent most of the time leaning on his rock and his eyes look tired. I know this is not normal because for the last few days he has been running around and eating well. I did recently give him some mealworms from Armstrong's. But he has eaten mealworms before, so I don't know if that's what caused it or not? I usually get them from Timberline, though. So could different brands have an affect?

Does he look dehydrated?

He hasn't eaten anything all day since that. Why would this just happen right out of the blue? Any advice?
    1.0.0. English Budgie (Peanut)
    1.0.0. Red-Eared Slider (Rocky)
    1.0.0. Bearded Dragon (Gomek)
    www.youtube.com/SnakeEyes223

Awww, poor little beardie (and worried owner). He looks good to me. It is possible that the mealworms didn't agree with him for whatever reason. You also said your PowerSun was out recently. What did you use instead? I'd bet he got a bit colder and couldn't digest properly.

What I would do is make sure he is warm. Raise the basking ledge or whatever to bump up the temperature and make sure he is 110-115. Even 120 would be OK for a day or two. If the bulb is new, maybe it is strong and he is avoiding it. You can put a rock in there under the basking light to provide a natural source of heat from underneath as well. I wouldn't feed him today and maybe tomorrow. Make sure he is having a bowel movement. Then give him something easy to digest like crickets or fruit/soft veggies. Sometimes my beardies would have a problem with superworms because of the hard shell. I started trying foods like butterworms, hornworms, and earthworms that were softer. Mulberry Farms is having a sale right now.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I wanted to add that if you think your beardie might be impacted or still seems sick after a few days, and of course if he gets worse, don't hesitate to take him to a herp vet.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs

Thanks for the advice. He seems a little bit more perked up today. I will be sure to keep him warm.

You have helped me so much with my beardie ever since I first got him; thank you so much!

You're welcome! You're a great member on the forum and you have a an awesome beardie.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs

This is all from my experiences, so please understand I have no ill intent.

110-120 is too hot for bearded dragons. A hatchling or juvenile might use a basking spot of 105, but usually, 95-100 is good for adults.

I would say that the dragon looks a little skinny, but should be fine.

I do hate to question, but what is your overall set up? What bulb, diet, temps, routine?

Also, have you considered other feeders than mealworms? They aren't really good as a staple feeder.

Anywho, I hope your beardie is doing better.

We don't take any questioning with ill intent here. Just for the record, BoxTurtle has been posting his set-up with his beardie for the past year or two. Those of us who are regular are more familiar with him. He uses a PowerSun 100watt which recently needed replacing and temps may have fallen for a while. I disagree that 110 is too hot for a regular basking spot, but your mileage may vary. Upping the temp for a day or two on any reptile who is ill is pretty standard practice. Ideally, having multiple ledges/surfaces that provides a temperature gradient would be the best scenario. At that point the lizard can decide for himself what is appropriate.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs

Thanks for clearing it up, laurarfl.

I think he is back to his old self. His colors are bright again and he has been clawing at the glass to come out and run around. Again, thank you for the advice!