Thread: My new baby tegu has a cut..

Default My new baby tegu has a cut..

Alright, so I just got my baby tegu this morning. He's about 6"-7". I have him in a 20 long with cypress mulch and some climbing logs to hide under and such, the whole setup which I put together yesterday. Anyway, couple hours after setting him in his new tank, I came back and noticed alot of blood around the tank, I immediately tried to see if I could visually find a cut on him, and sure enough there seems to be a bloody spot on the bottom of his tail. I was wondering how I should handle this? He's really young and just been put in a new environment. I wasn't sure if I should stress him out by having to handle him while I clean the cut. He is my first tegu and I feel like I already failed him. :( So if I could get some help on this matter I would appreciate it. And options on whether or not a vet visit is in order, or if this is something I can take care of from my home.

Awww, he's probably fine. You can pick him up, clean it and put a bit of Neosporin on it.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

i agree with laurafl i dont think its a rish job to the vets

Quote Originally Posted by laurarfl View Post
    Awww, he's probably fine. You can pick him up, clean it and put a bit of Neosporin on it.
    He wasn't happy at all to be picked up, but I had someone else help me with it, since I was holding him. Cleaned his wound with warm water, wiped it down gently to get all the cypress mulch off, dried it a little, then put a bit of Neosporin on it. Currently keeping him in a smaller tank I had, with papertowels. Which will be temporary till i'm sure he is ok to go back to his original enclosure. Should I give it about a week or so? And would you recommend cleaning the cut everyday and reapplying Neosporin?

i persomaly would recommend monitoring him in the smaller viv,,, to me you have done everything id do,,,,,,,,,,,,, keep an eye out for infection,

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/...antom/5555.jpg

I got him out to clean his cut today, and managed to get a better look at his tail, it looks like he really gashed a piece of it out or something, and it started bleeding alot.. not sure what to do now. I'm worried about him.