Thread: need help with shed

Default need help with shed

So heres the deal...I live in a very dry climate, and my tegu is housed outside. He is having trouble with shedding the last 8 inches or so of his tail. Unfortunately he will probably lose 1 1/2 inches at the end. He is 5yrs old but only moved here 2 yrs ago. There is a place for him to soak in his cage, but he hardly does. I take him out and soak him in a pool every chance I get.( a few times a week) Is there something I can put on his skin to help loosen it up?
    It's all fun and games until you lose your right to vote and bare arms!!!!

A member has suggested that water soluble KY works well to rub on the stuck shed. In the end though, it's going to be a matter of increasing humidity. You can set up a sprinkler or trickle hose for the morning, or a humid hide. Perhaps setting up a couple of water sources with help, too. Not only will increasing humidity help with shedding, but it prevents chronic dehydration and kidney stress.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

When we still had our tegus, I would given them a nice warm bath for at least 30 minutes, then would massage olive oil into their tails when then needed a little help shedding. Worked like a charm.

Now when you say you give them a soak in a pool, do you mean an *actual* pool, with chlorinated water? Or just a kiddie pool filled with regular water?
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Spaz (aka "Monkey")
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon; Leonidas (aka "Jaba" aka "Fatty)
    0.0.1 Ball Pythons; Lil' Bit

0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu; Bozski - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Argentine A/A Tegu; Oscar - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Ball Python; Moose - *rehome*

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Knuckles (aka "Kitteh"), RIP
    0.0.1 Baby B/W Tegu; unnamed, RIP

i agree with Nordica, I had a bad issue with my girl. Soaked her for half hour a day and i actually used ky after her soaks... I also humidified her cage 2 x a day.. Keep at it and dont give up! It took me almost a year to get her completely back to normal.

Thanks for the advice I'll try an oil rub. The pool I use is a kiddie pool. But in all actuality there is probably just as much chlorine in the water as there is in the pool. If the pool water doesn't burn your eyes I wouldn't think it would burn theirs.
    It's all fun and games until you lose your right to vote and bare arms!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by reddawg View Post
    If the pool water doesn't burn your eyes I wouldn't think it would burn theirs.
    Just remember that their senses are a lot more sensitive than ours