Thread: New Tegu is just getting worse..

Unhappy New Tegu is just getting worse..

My 4 months old red tegu has been with me for 3 weeks now. First week I didntīt even see her since she was burried all the time. After one week I started to see her up more often, I even made it routine for her to be waken up when I got home from work in the afternoon. She hissed at me but didnīt run away or anything else. I was able to get her out of her cage to feed her in a seperate container for that week, though she didnīt eat much, less than a bite.

She got meaner and meaner, started to tailslap me all the time, running away etc.

But this week she have started to bite me as soon as I get my hands in the cage.. Its terrible. I see everyones tegu on youtube all nice and tame at the same age as mine.. But its just not working out with her. Her setup, heat, humidity, uvb etc is all good. She is just hating me more and more. And since I refuse to feed her inside her cage she wont get any food either.

Im all done.. out of ideas. What should I do??

Are you showing fear. It should like it has learn that if its agressive you will back off. Put some gloves on and slowly do things around the cage like spot clean. and build up to rubbing then a gentle pick up hope this helps.
    Hebrews 11:1-Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

I agree with glk832. It also can be because your Tegu is very hungry. When they are very hungry they can be a bit aggressive. We have 5 tame Tegus and a black throat monitor. When I have to work late and they don't get fed on time they can be a bit feisty. Especially when they got to bask for a long time the metabolism is much higher then when they just wake up and they are a bit cold. Try to get her out of the enclosure when she didn't bask yet. You can try my shirt trick if you like. Instead of putting on one shirt and one sweatshirt you might want to put on two sweatshirts. I know what you are thinking " are you crazy Sam ? I'll be to hot " lol. But in case she bits you when she is in between two shirts it would hurt less or not at all if you have the extra sweatshirt on .

Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Quote Originally Posted by txrepgirl View Post
    I agree with glk832. It also can be because your Tegu is very hungry. When they are very hungry they can be a bit aggressive. We have 5 tame Tegus and a black throat monitor. When I have to work late and they don't get fed on time they can be a bit feisty. Especially when they got to bask for a long time the metabolism is much higher then when they just wake up and they are a bit cold. Try to get her out of the enclosure when she didn't bask yet. You can try my shirt trick if you like. Instead of putting on one shirt and one sweatshirt you might want to put on two sweatshirts. I know what you are thinking " are you crazy Sam ? I'll be to hot " lol. But in case she bits you when she is in between two shirts it would hurt less or not at all if you have the extra sweatshirt on .

That shirt trick works.Really good.. I was nervous to try it when txrepgirl told me about it too but it work. make sure you dont have on any perfumes or deodorant on tho just your natural smell...
    Hebrews 11:1-Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

Oops. I forgot to mention the deodorant part. Thank you for bringing it up glk832. I'm glad my shirt trick worked for you .
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl