Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bearded Dragon abuse!

Default Bearded Dragon abuse!

So you all know I am getting a Bearded Dragon soon. So I walked in the local pet store to see if they had any. They did, and to my horror, there were about ten hatclings cramped in a small critter keeper cage. The lady that showed them to me also said they were on calcium sand, which made me even more mad. That's all it was really, just a critter keeper with calcium sand and a small water dish (which didn't even have that much water in it.) I also found out that EVERY reptile in the store was being fed lettuce dusted in a calcium supplement, how pathetic is that!? And then, the lady asked me in an anxious tone, ''So are you buying one?'' No. I also overheard that lady talking to somebody in the store as I was leaving, lieing to them, ''No they're not fast....They MUST be kept on calcium sand....Yeah, all you really need to feed them is lettuce....''

I'm still shocked. The next time I go in that pet store, I'm going to educate them
    1.0.0. English Budgie (Peanut)
    1.0.0. Red-Eared Slider (Rocky)
    1.0.0. Bearded Dragon (Gomek)
    www.youtube.com/SnakeEyes223

Angry

omg you should tell them a thing or 2 i canot believe that they would lie like that:evil:
    R.I.P lizzie
    you will be missed

I believe it. Sometimes it's not so much that they are lieing...they are ignorant and think they are telling the truth.

You can try to share some info, but most don't want to spend the money on proper husbandry.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Exclamation

well yes but if they are not willing to spend or even do reserch they shouldnot sell them
    Last edited by adam chalkley; 07-22-2009 at 07:00 PM.
    R.I.P lizzie
    you will be missed

I agree. But that's not always reality. :(
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

name of store?? if people know and stop going it will help if just a little in stopping them from selling reps!!

I know how you feel.Go give them a piece of your mind.We had a pet store here in town ( Petland ) and they had a red Argentine Tegu baby in there and they had it on pellets.I was so upset.I brought in some cypress mulch and gave them some infos.But they still didn't take good care of him.Well long story short.A lot of people compaint ( on our local news / toubbleshooter ) and they closed that place down.Thank God for that.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

you know i personally think thats great it gives other irresponsible people something to think about before they open up another.years ago i took in a iguana who never had a chance but thought i would give him a more loving home as he died. he to was on pellets but was also eating them for who knows how long. long story short they gave him to me like NO BIG DEAL. and he ate 1 good meal drank some water then died within prob 15 hours!! it sucked

I'm so sorry to hear what happend to him.God bless you for giving him a good home in his last few hours.When I wanted to get that red Tegu baby they wouldn't go down in price ( $195 ).
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I had a small clutch hatch just this week. If you haven't found one yet and are interested, please PM me. They won't be ready to go for a few weeks, but they are already eating tiny crickets and shredded salad. Where do you live in Florida? I am in Sanford. I would really rather arrange for pickup than have to ship them.
    Lin

1.0.0 Australian Water Dragon
    6.9.0 Bearded Dragons
    1.0.0 Florida Kingsnakes
    0.1.0 Cornsnakes
    0.2.0 Cats
    0.1.0 Dog

RIP Domino